#
Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church
Sundays: Church School 9:00am - Service 10:30am
home
CONTACT US

.

HomePastorMinistriesCalendarMembersOfferingAbout GodHistoryLinksGalleryPictures Of The Mount Church
 
Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church
Please log in to access the Mt. Olive Church Archives
Email Address
Your Password
Forgot your password?
click here
 History 

 

The Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church as we understand, first worshiped in the Tuskegee Baptist Church, which was built around 1842. The first home of Tuskegee Baptist was a log house used as a church and school. It was located at the end of the street running northwest of the Courthouse. This structure was used for sixteen years during which time the slaves worshiped in the same building with the same pastor and their white masters.

In 1858, First Baptist built a new modern edifice and left the colored worshipers in the original. The colored congregation continued to worship in this structure until 1872 when they decided to move their house of worship to Olive Hill. This site was located approximately one-half mile from the Courthouse on the southeast side of what is now U.S. Highway 80 and 29. The church building sat about where the Tuskegee Fire Department now stands.

Around 1912, the original structure was moved to its present site. In 1919, it was completely replaced by a building that was a scaled down floor version of the famed Tuskegee Chapel. Deacon C. H. Evans, head of Tuskegee Institute's Building Construction Department, along with students, built the basic structure. In the early 1950's the church building received a brick-veneer and the three story annex was added.

All of the brick were laid by Deacon Daniel Anderson, free of charge. Mt. Olive's past has been filled with many outstanding pastors, members and leaders. It is significant to note that Booker T. Washington, founder of Tuskegee Institute, was among the outstanding members. Mt. Olive's notable members also include Lucius Amerson, Tuskegee's first Black Sheriff elected, Johnny Ford,Tuskegee’s first African-American mayor, Mickie Peterson, Tuskegee's first woman City Council person, Ora Manning, Macon County School System's first female Superintendent, and Grethelyn Averhart, Tuskegee's first female Chief of Police and many others.

 

Click the link above to learn more about Booker Taliaferro Washington (April 5, 1856 – November 14, 1915) who was an American educator, orator, author and leader of the African-American community. He was freed from slavery as a child, and after working at several menial jobs in West Virginia, earned his way through an education at Hampton Institute and Wayland Seminary. Upon recommendation of Hampton founder Sam Armstrong, as a young man, he was appointed as the first leader of the new Tuskegee Institute, then a teachers' college for blacks. Washington filled this role from the opening of the school in 1881 until his death in 1915.

 

Click the link above to learn more about Lucius Amerson, first Black Sheriff elected in the South since Reconstruction.

 

 

Click the link above to learn more about Johnny Ford, Tuskegee’s first African-American mayor in 1972.

 

Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church is a church of compassion and refuge, reaching out to a lost and hurting world that needs salvation and purpose. The Lord has given Pastor Curry an exhaustive vision for the Mt.Olive Church Family. It is one that is designed to minister to the needs of the total man - spiritually, physically, educationally and socially.
Site Mailing List  Sign Guest Book  View Guest Book 
A Christ-Centered, Community-Connected, Come As You Are Church!

Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church
P.O. Box 830711
410 Cedar Street | Tuskegee, Al 36083-0711
| PH: 334-727-3080
email us: media@mtolivebaptistchurchtuskegee.org

Join "The Mount" on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/mtolivebaptist.church.media

©Copyright 2009 Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church. All rights reserved.
powered by ChurchSquare